Frequently Asked Questions
1. When are Chelsea parks open?
Municipal parks are open for public use year-round from dawn to dusk. Permits are issued from mid-April until mid-October depending on weather conditions.
2. Where are the water spray areas available for use?
All water sprays are free and open to the public during the summer months. The water sprays are located in the following parks.
Chelsea River Walk 257 Marginal Way
Highland Green Corridor Highland Street
Highland Park Willow Street
Voke Park Washington AvenueCreekside Common Gilooly Street
Eden Street Park Addison & Blossom Streets
Quigley Park Essex Street
Ruiz Park Washington Avenue
Box District Park Liberty StreetMary C Burke Complex Crescent Avenue
3. Where can I walk my dog off-leash?
The Chelsea Dog Park, for small to medium size dogs, is located next to Mystic River Overlook Park at the lower end of Broadway.
4. For what activities are special events permits needed?
Special Event permits are required when groups of ten (10) or more people are present. School picnics, birthday parties, field days, parades, and processions are examples of events that require a permit.
5. How do I apply for a permit to use an Athletic Field or hold a Special Event?
Groups of ten (10) or more are required to complete an online or paper application for use of an Athletic Field or to hold a Special Event and Guidelines. Paper applications can be downloaded here or obtained in the Chelsea City Hall, 500 Broadway, Room 100, or requested by email at [email protected] or by calling 617 466-4073.
6. What are the circumstances under which I should get a permit if my group event has less than ten (10) people?
People apply for permits with groups less than ten if they want to reserve a specific area in a park. While a permit does not necessarily guarantee exclusive use of an area, it does give the permit-holder the right to hold an event in a specific space and ensures that other groups are not issued a permit to use the same space.
7. Do I have to pay a fee to use the parks?
Athletic Field Use: Fees may apply if the group is a youth or adult league. Refer to the Athletic Field Use Policy Guide.
Special Event Permit: There is no cost for a special event permit but there may be additional fees from additional City departments depending on the details for your event. Examples: police details, entertainment licenses, etc. Refer to the Special Event Guidelines.
8. How far in advance do I need to apply for a permit?
Online applications must be submitted as follows:
- For athletic fields, at least 10 working days prior to planned field/court use
- For a special event permit, at least 45 days in advance.
9. Can I smoke or drink alcohol in Chelsea Parks?
Smoking and drinking alcoholic beverages in public places (including possession of an open container of alcohol) are not permitted. This applies whether or not an individual is of legal age.
10. Can I grill in the parks?
Portable barbeques and open fires are prohibited in any city park or property.
If you have more questions, you can contact us by email at [email protected] or by phone at 617 466-4073.